How can you tell if black mold is toxic?
Pay attention to the color and consistency: We already talked about black mold above, though its more accurate to say that Stachybotrys chartarum has a greenish-black hue. Toxic mold can also have a grayish, soot-like texture, or a slimy, wet surface. In some cases, you may even notice furry orange or brown spots.
What color is toxic black mold?
dark black Basements or crawlspaces that may have leaks or other sources of moisture are often susceptible to toxic black mold growth. Black mold is readily identifiable by its color. Whereas most other molds are green or gray in color, toxic black mold is a dark black.
What does black mold actually look like?
Like most molds, black mold starts to grow as fuzzy white fibers, looking similar to a cotton ball. As black mold develops and begins to produce spores, it may look gray or green in the center with white around the edges. As the spores fill in and the mold reaches maturity, it develops its characteristic black hue.
What dangerous mold looks like?
Stachybotrys Commonly referred to as “black mold,” stachybotrys is one of the most dangerous types of mold and can cause flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, headaches, memory loss and severe respiratory damage. As its nickname suggests, black mold is dark in color, although it can also be grey or dark green.
Does black mold wash off?
Black mold appears in damp, dark areas, and can spread quickly if not taken care of. Luckily, you can clean it with cleansing detergents, such as borax or bleach, or natural solutions, such as white vinegar or tea tree oil.
Can you live in a house with black mold?
In short, yes. Exposure to black mold can be harmful in the long term, particularly in people with respiratory conditions and other risk factors. Black mold can be one of several different species of fungus, including Stachybotrys chartarum.
Can I live in a house with black mold?
Can I Stay in My House With Black Mold? It is recommended that you stay somewhere clear of mold spores until all black mold has been removed from your home. This is because black mold is toxic and can cause immediate health issues and result in long-term consequences.